Prof. Ahmed Al Halfawy
ESSB Board Member
Graduated from Faculty of Medicine – Cairo University at 1993
Professor of Pulmonary Medicine, Cairo University
Member of :
- The Americn College of Chest Physicians: Governor of the Egyptian Chapter of the American College of Chest Physicians for the term starting Nov. 2008 – Nov 2012.
- Board member of the Egyptian Scientific Society of Bronchology.
- The American Thoracic Society
- The European Respiratory Society
- The Egyptian Society of Chest Diseases and Tuberculosis
– Medical thoracoscopy: performed over 500 procedures of medical thoracoscopy for the diagnosis and management of undiagnosed pleural effusions, pneumothorax, Mediastinal lesions, sympathectomy, and talc insufflation pleurodesis. Procedures such as Thoracoscopic talc insufflation, adhesiolysis, pleural abrasion for pleurodesis, and thoracoscopic lung biopsies are performed. Initiated the Medical Thoracoscopy units in Al Azhar University, Benha University, and Omraneya Chest Hospital.
– Interventional Bronchoscopy: Argon plasma coagulation, airway stenting using flexible self-expanding stents, transbronchial needle aspiration and biopsy, bronchial balloon dilatation, autofluorescence bronchoscopy, photodynamic therapy, brachytherapy, foreign body retrieval.
– Rigid bronchoscopy for foreign body retrieval, for insertion of silisone stents, and for pediatric patients.
– Diagnostic bronchoscopy and bedside bronchoscopy in ICUs.
– Management of malignant pleural effusions and chronic pleural effusions using the PLEURX catheter, a one way catheter inserted and tunnelled subcutaneously for the outpatient management of pleural effusions. Over three hundred cases have been performed up till now.
– Respiratory Intensive Care Medicine: management of patients with respiratory failure, on mechanical ventilation with mastering of techniques of weaning from mechanical ventilation. Other causes of respiratory distress and pulmonary thromboembolic events.
– Pulmonary function tests: performance and interpretation of spirometry, diffusion capacity, bronchial provocation challenges, and cardiopulmonary exercise testing.
– Sleep lab performance and interpretation and titration of CPAP therapy for sleep apnea syndrome.